Monday, August 10, 2015

new from above/ground press: A BOOK OF SAINTS, by Amanda Earl

A BOOK OF SAINTS
an excerpt from Saint Ursula’s Commonplace Book
Amanda Earl
$4


Saint Monica, Patron Saint of Wives and Abuse Victims, August 27

The day I disappeared
I was thinking of her

death and my own,
her tears on my face.

I searched for a scarf
to cover my neck.

I packed nothing
but fruit and wine,

offerings to God, and
I wandered in my body

as my mind. Awkward old
bones, joints stiff with pain

It is my intention to
kneel on the steps

of an oratory and climb.

published in Ottawa by above/ground press
August 2015
a/g subscribers receive a complimentary copy


Cover art: The Dream of St. Ursula, Vittore Carpaccio, 1495

Amanda Earl is a troublemaker who haunts the streets & watering holes of Ottawa for inspiration. She is still in love with Kiki (Chaudiere Books, 2014), her poetry book celebrating the spirit of Montparnasse & hopes that you will be too. Find her on Twitter @KikiFolle or read about her in secret at AmandaEarl.com.

This is Earl’s fourth chapbook with above/ground press, after Sex First & Then A Sandwich (2012), The Sad Phoenician’s Other Woman (2008) and Eleanor (2007).

Read a further excerpt online at Jacket2

[produced as part of the above/ground press twenty-second anniversary reading and launch, also featuring Ashley-Elizabeth Best and Hugh Thomas, August 27, 2015]

To order, send cheques (add $1 for postage; outside Canada, add $2) to: rob mclennan, 2423 Alta Vista Drive, Ottawa ON K1H 7M9 or paypal at www.robmclennan.blogspot.com

No comments: